5 Ways to Spruce Up a Dull Bedroom
When decorating our homes or apartments, we may not pay much attention to our bedrooms, or put them off until last because they are often one part of the house that company rarely sees. While that makes sense, you should never avoid or forget about your bedroom as it means a lot to you. You spend a lot of time in there and it should be pleasing and comfortable, not plain and boring. Here are five ways to spruce up a dull bedroom so that you enjoy it more and are proud of that room.
- Paint your room. It may seem simple, but the color of paint on the walls of your bedroom can make all the difference. You want something pleasing but not dull, but also, something you find soothing. Greens and blues are often good for a bedroom, but a good red color can promote romance. Add what you think works best but avoid anything too bright or busy (if you prefer wall paper).
- Get new bed accessories. Once you have chosen a wall color, you want to pull your room together with new sheets, comforter and pillows. Don’t forget about new drapes as well. These do not have to be expensive, but they do have to match your new room. Get something to compliment your wall color. If you choose mustard yellow, for example, a light teal blue will go well with it. Get a new comforter, drapes, and throw pillows in complimentary colors and your room will look amazing.
- Evaluate you wall hangings. If you have pictures of your family and friends in your bedroom, you could be ruining a good night of sleep. Anything hanging on the walls should be a décor item. Save the pictures for other rooms. When thinking about things to hang in your bedroom to spruce it up, choose a few larger pieces that you love and make you feel calm. Avoid large clusters of small items and busy prints for your walls.
- Add space. While it might be impossible to add more room to your bedroom, you can make it feel bigger by choosing to have a white ceiling and white trim no matter what wall color you have chosen. This opens up the room and makes it seem bigger. You can also add mirrors around the room. They reflect light and make a room appear larger. Another great suggestion is to use a futon in your room that can double as sofa. Futons are extremely versatile and comfortable, both for sleeping and entertaining.
- Get one new piece of bedroom furniture that you love. You don’t have to spend a lot, but go out and get one new piece of bedroom furniture to match with your new room. You can find a great end table or perhaps a new dresser that you love or perhaps a free standing, framed mirror. Something new can certainly add renewed excitement to a room that has seemed dull and lifeless thus far.